Saturday 20 December 2014

Homemade Pork and Apple


Homemade Pork and Apple


I made some sausages for a family barbecue held to celebrate my mother’s 84th birthday.


I have been given a book Home Sausage Making by Susan Peery and Charles Reavis, and I used the pork and apple recipe as a basis to create some birthday snarlers.
 
 
I used one and half apples, a small leek and the zest of a lime. I cooked this up and then added the mix to a kilo of minced pork.
 
 
The stuffing and tying went satisfactorily, with assistance from a handy family member to wind the crank on the machine.
 
 
They were cooked on our new barbecue, along with some chicken sausages from Island Bay Butchery and beef tenderloin. I had marinated the beef in soy sauce, garlic and whole grain mustard. I also made a couple of salads, potato and mixed green. Simple fare on what I had hoped would be nice summer evening.
 
 
The sausages went down well with many positive comments. In our whanau we do speak with some frankness and if people were not keen on the end product they will make this clear. The sweetness of the apple complimented the pork, although the tartness of lime did not come through and I could not detect this on the palate. Next time I will use more apple and lots more lime or lemon zest. I enjoy experimenting with flavours as I make sausages.
 
 
It was a successful evening and I was pleased with how the sausages tasted. I now have five days before the next whanau event, Christmas dinner/barbecue. Guess who is supplying the sausages? There will be some that I make and others that I will purchase. See the review of the Christmas lunch here.

For an index of homemade sausages click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment